Halloween is only two weeks away and the WWW has been flooded with themed makeup tutorials for a while now. Although I’m enjoying watching those spectacular looks take shape, I don’t think I’ll recreate any of them, because my Halloween is most likely going to be a very chill one. But even if I just go out to dinner or to the movies, the scariest night of the year will still give me the perfect excuse to wear one of my most recent acquisitions… MUAHAHAHA!!!
KIKO have just launched a new lipstick range (only available in Italy at the moment) with swoon-worthy packaging, called Gossamer Emotion, that includes a black among its 30 shades. I guess you know what I’m about to say… I had to pick it up and make it the star of the show in my Halloween-inspired makeup look.
I wanted to do something that was a little edgy, but still wearable (at least on October 31!), so I paired the black lipstick with a very simple cat-eye and added a reddish brown eyeshadow in the crease and a warm blush, in order not to look too corpselike.
Here is the step-by-step, if you’re interested in the details:
- Wearing black on your lips makes dark circles and blemishes stand out more than usual, so I spent a good amount of time focusing on the base. After applying Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation, I concealed my dark circles with Bobbi Brown Corrector in Peach and Maybelline Instant Age Rewind in Light, hid any blemishes with Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage in SC-03 and set everything with powder.
- I placed medicated tape underneath my bottom lashes at the outer corners and angled it towards the temples to act as a guideline. I never do this, but for this look I wanted the eyeshadow to have a sharp edge.
- I primed my eyes with Too Faced Shadow Insurance and applied Heaven, a buttercream shadow from Too Faced Natural Matte palette, all over the lids.
- In the crease, I blended Freshly Toasted, a reddish brown from Zoeva Cocoa Blend palette.
- I lined the outer half of my eyes with Maybelline Gel Eyeliner and applied Lash Sensational mascara from the same brand.
- I added a tiny bit of KIKO Water Eyeshadow in 200 Champagne in the inner corners for a little sparkle.
- Let me tell ya, applying black, non-matte lipstick is not easy, so I started by lining my lips with Make Up For Ever Aqua Lip in shade 12C and blended it towards the center with a lip brush.
- I applied KIKO Gossamer Emotion Creamy Lipstick in 130 Black straight from the bullet and then went back in with a lip brush to make it flawless.
- Now that the statement lip was on, I could tell how much blush I needed. I blended Benefit Dallas, a warm rusty plum, on my cheekbones, up towards the temples.
I decided for a bun, because if I had left my long, straight, dark hair down, I would have looked very much like Morticia Addams, which wasn’t the look I was going for. By the way, my roots look grey in this picture!!! I guess my hair was trying to make me even more Halloween-ready!
So what do you guys think, can I pull off black lipstick? Would you ever wear it and actually leave the house? What are your plans for Halloween?