Cream or stick eyeshadows are my go-to products when I want to look polished without spending too much time on my makeup. While their ease of application makes them the perfect eyeshadows for newbies, if you’re a makeup expert you’ll surely appreciate how quick they are to use whenever you’re in a hurry.
The way I personally like to apply them is to pat them onto the mobile lid with my finger (or, in case of a stick, straight from the stick) and then blend the edges with a fluffy brush (if you don’t want to use a brush, you can easily get away with just using your fingers). I often complete the look by applying a pencil liner in the waterline and/or lower lash line.
In my opinion, for this one-shade-all-over-the-lid type of look, you’re better off choosing a neutral color. Bolder shades are often patchy and uneven and I find they work better as a base for powder eyeshadows or used as liners. My favorite neutrals include:
- Maybelline Color Tattoo in On and On Bronze: It’s one of those shades that look good on a wide range of skin tones, all year round.
- Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in My Two Cents: A warm coppery bronze.
- Collistar TWIST Ultra-Shiny Eyeshadow in Bronze: This is my favorite summer eyeshadow. EVER. The swatch doesn’t do it justice, click here to see its wet-looking finish in full glory!
- KIKO Long-Lasting Stick Eyeshadow in 06 Golden Brown: Another great year-round shade.
- KIKO Long-Lasting Stick Eyeshadow in 05 Rosy Brown: Its pink undertones make it a great option for cooler skin tones and pale eyes.
- MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Perky: A pretty peach color that I like using in spring and summer.
- Maybelline Color Tattoo in Metallic Pomegranate: The perfect plum eyeshadow for fall.
- Maybelline Color Tattoo in Creamy Beige: This one is the most versatile of the bunch. I’ve already sung its praises in a previous post, which you can read here.
- Chanel Illusion D’Ombre in Epatant: A silver with a hint of khaki. I usually like to warm it up with a warm brown in the crease.
What is your go-to look when you’re in a hurry? Do you like using cream eyeshadows as much as I do?