Tomorrow is the first day of fall in the northern hemisphere and, according to Pantone Fashion Color Report, ‘this season displays an umbrella of accord that weaves earthy neutrals with a range of bold color statements and patterns to reflect a landscape of hope, fun, fantasy and all things natural’.
Every season, I like reading these reports and dig into my collection to see if I already have any of the colors they mention. This doesn’t mean I then follow religiously what Pantone says, but I think it is a nice way to rediscover forgotten products that have been lying untouched at the bottom of my drawers for quite some. (I have done something similar with this season’s makeup trends, go check that post out if you have a couple more minutes to spare).
Out of the ten shades Pantone has gathered, at first glance I thought I owned about six or seven, but it turned out that I actually have them all, so the process of shopping my own stash was definitely fruitful. I’ve swatched the colors in the same order as you find them in Pantone’s article (from left to right). Let’s see in detail to which products they belong.
- Dried Herb, an olive green: KIKO Metallic Shine Eyeshadow in 05 Charming Sage from their current Rebel Romantic collection.
- Desert Sage, a greenish grey: Cadet Grey from FrontCover Desk to Date Day to Night eyeshadow palette, which I got about three years ago at Sephora and I’m pretty sure it’s discontinued. I’m so glad I rediscovered it because I really wanted a shade like Cadet Grey and was going to buy one, but now I don’t need to!
- Stormy Weather, a blue grey: KIKO Smokey Eye Pencil in 05 Graphite, from a 2012 limited edition collection (Lavish Oriental). I normally use this on its own smudged on my top and bottom lash lines.
- Oak Buff, a golden yellow: Amaretto Truffle from FrontCover Desk to Date Day to Night palette.
- Marsala, a winey red-brown: KIKO Lavish Lips Creamy Lipgloss in 04 Sheer Maroon again from the Lavish Oriental collection.
- Biscay Bay, an elegant teal: Laura Mercier Eyeliner Crème in Canard. I LOVE this liner, it’s a stunning year-round shade.
- Reflecting Pond, a cooling blue with a lot of depth: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Mainline. I like applying this in my waterline, paired with a neutral shadow (like Maybelline Color Tattoo in Creamy Beige) on the lid.
- Cadmium Orange, a warm, welcoming and subtly dramatic orange, which looks very salmony to me: Tempura from FrontCover Desk to Date Day to Night palette.
- Cashmere Rose, a soft pink: Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Honey Douce, a great everyday option.
- Amethyst Orchid, an intriguing and enigmatic hue: Pupa Hot Tropics Diamond Eyeshadow in 02 Water Lily Amethyst from the 2012 Hot Tropics Collection.
It’s interesting to note that I got all of these products but two (which are UD’s liner and KIKO’s eyeshadow) in 2012. It might just be a coincidence OR, as I said before, it might be because trends always come full circle.
I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed doing it. Do you think you will incorporate one or more of these shades into your fall makeup looks? Which one is your favorite? Please let me know in the comments!