The new YSL Couture Variation 10-Color Eye Palette in 4 Underground ($95) contains eight powder eyeshadows (three mattes, five shimmers), a primer (first on the left) and a cream black liner (first on the right)
As you’ve probably already noticed, I’ll go for a lip-focused look over an eye-focused one about nine times out of 10. After all, I do have about 100 lipsticks that need to be put to good use, right?
(For some reason, the fact that I have the same amount of eyeshadows – or possibly even more – is easier to disregard.)
That tenth time, I’ll usually grab one of my very few nude lipsticks and do a a dark, smoky eye look à la Kate Moss (though a brunette, shorter, thicker Kate Moss), like the one I did today using the new YSL Couture Variation 10-Color Eye Palette in 4 Underground.
Wearing YSL Couture Variation 10-Color Eye Palette in 4 Underground on my eyes and Chanel Rouge Coco Ultra Hydrating Lip Colour in 404 Julia on my lips
To achieve this look I’ve used the light matte grey in the crease, the shimmery grey on the lid, the matte black along the upper and lower lashlines, the glittery white in the inner corner, and the cream liner along the outer half of my upper lashes. I wish you could see that the shimmery grey I’ve applied on the mobile lid is full of minuscule sparkles that reflect the light in a very pretty way
Swatches of the primer, eight shadows, and cream liner from YSL Couture Variation 10-Color Eye Palette in 4 Underground
A few random considerations on the YSL Couture Variation 10-Color Eye Palette in 4 Underground:
- It’s a nice set of smokey shades and I really like the idea of including a primer and a liner. The primer doesn’t really compare to my trusty NARS Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base in terms of hold, but frankly nothing ever does.
- Although it contains 10 pans (x0.02 oz/0.5 g), the palette is very compact – which I personally love.
- The shimmery pinky grey (third on the left) and the shimmery grey (fourth on the right) are full of minuscule glitters that will make your lids shine brighter than a diamond. PRETTAY!
- Unfortunately, though, their fallout will also make your under-eye area shine brighter than a diamond (have you seen Twilight?), so I strongly encourage you to do your eye makeup first when using this palette.
- The included double-ended brush is not the best I’ve ever tried in my life, but it’s totally usable.
When doing your makeup do you more often focus on the lips or on the eyes? Or both?
And you may find me on Snapchat as carolinapage!