OK, I know I’ve already done a post on my travel makeup kit, but I’ve just booked a week-long trip to Andalusia (YAY!) and am thinking that I’ll probably have to shrink that list even further in order to pack everything I need in my 10-kilo carry-on bag.
So today I thought I would share a few tricks that may come in handy if you, like me, want to travel extra light and fit all your skincare and liquid makeup into the allowed 1-liter plastic bag.
- Did you know that you can mix liquid concealer with moisturizer to create your own custom BB cream? Then you can go in with the same concealer in the areas where you need more coverage. PRODUCT RECOMMENDATION: Maybelline Instant Age Rewind concealer works great for both dark circles and blemishes, has good coverage, but is very lightweight, so it mixes perfectly with moisturizer.
- Use mascara as liquid liner: you will have to pack an eyeliner brush, but you’ll get to save space in your tiny bag of liquids.
- Bring one (just ONE) lipstick. You can dab it onto your lips for a daytime tint, wear it full on in the evenings and use it on your cheeks as a cream blush. PRODUCT RECOMMENDATION: Maybelline Super Stay 14HR Lipstick in 160 Infinitely Fuchsia. The color is amazing and the lasting power even more so (on cheeks as well!).
- If you have good brows, leave them bare! If you just have to fill them in, pack a small powder kit that you can also use on your lids for a neutral look. PRODUCT RECOMMENDATION: For under 5 euro, Catrice Eye Brow Set includes two powders, a double-ended brush and mini tweezers!
- SHARE: Unless you’re traveling solo, sharing is a great way to save space and kilos. For instance, deodorant and toothpaste are good items to share.
- This one is pretty obvious, but I’m sure not everyone does it: save samples and mini-sizes for travel.
And remember, it’s actually OK to change your skincare routine for a few days:
- Even if you’re used to having separate moisturizers for daytime and night, pack one you can use for both, your skin will survive.
- Cleansing balm and micellar water: in the evening, use the first to take all your makeup off (including eyes and lips) and the latter as a second cleanse/toner. Micellar water will also work great as a quick morning cleanser. PRODUCT RECOMMENDATION: Clinique Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm is a great year-round product that is easy to decant into a smaller pot, which makes it perfect for travel.
I hope you’ve found this post helpful and that you’ll share your personal tips in the comments. Do you have any upcoming trips on the horizon?